Thursday, July 27, 2006

"Domniophobia" ..or.. "Fear of F.E.A.R."

I've played my fair share of FPS titles back in my PC gaming days. In the last two or three years, my interest in the FPS genre has all but disappeared due to increased realism in games. Sure, realistic environments can be beautiful, but they are more often the place of nightmares.

At first I thought I suffered from Kinetimortophobia, but it turns out to be more along the lines of domniophobia.

The first real indication that I had a fear of dungeon-like environments was during an attempt to play Doom 3. I started the game, got suited up, went into the first room where you turn on your flashlight, promptly stopped, and uninstalled the game. The environment alone was just too freaky. Monsters and zombies, no problem. A dark room with a fairly realistic flashlight and surround sound creepy noises, forget it.

Recently I have been testing Windows XP on an Apple iMac 20" with an Intel processor. I decided to see if it could handle some high end game graphics and set out to find a meaty demo to throw at it. Most sources pointed towards F.E.A.R. The iMac held up quite admirably, but my nerves did not. I didn't even get to shoot anything before the quit-and-uninstall reflex kicked in.


Oh, well. Back to what I do best.

7 Comments:

Blogger InvisibleMan said...

Well, if it freaks you out to the point of not being able to play it, I guess that means that it must be really GOOD!

How well do you fare in Resident Evil 4, may I ask?

(Ahhh, yes! A screen capture of Silent Hill 4... It makes me want to go back to my Xbox and continue playing it!)

1:25 PM, July 27, 2006  
Blogger David said...

I haven't played RE4 due to being a scaredy-cat. Is it from 3rd person perspective? For some reason, that might be better for me. I just picked up Metroid: Prime for $5 .. I'll see how that goes. It's only rated T!

The part of my (first!) post that I left out was the fact that I actually had a nightmare while I was sleeping last night. It had nothing to do with F.E.A.R., but I assume it was the catalyst.

3:19 PM, July 27, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Resident Evil 4 isn't scary. The monsters may be creepy, but there's not much surprises.

Now if you get scared from Metroid Prime... you're just a pussie :P

I found Fatal Frame for the PS2 scary as hell.

9:15 PM, July 27, 2006  
Blogger Frisby said...

"Resident Evil 4 isn't scary."

I get goosebumps every time I hear a chainsaw start up near by. Also one time I lost a drop of piss while playing around.

I was shooting at the lake to see if the bullets affected water. It did so i kept shooting and got my wife's attention to check it out. When I looked back at the screen something happened that made my bladder almost lose it. My heart was almost in my throat
Crazy stuff.

Go to the lake and shoot into the water a few time and see if you piss. Find out for yourself.

Frisby

7:55 PM, July 28, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here are some links that I believe will be interested

12:01 PM, August 09, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work. thnx!
»

5:31 PM, August 10, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your are Excellent. And so is your site! Keep up the good work. Bookmarked.
»

2:28 AM, August 16, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home