Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Humanity's Obsession and Rejection of Death

Two nights ago I saw at the Chicago International Film Festival the premiere of Darren Aronofsky's "The Fountain", and I have to say, this is not only the best of Aronofsky's films, it is easily the best film I have seen in the last few years. In my opinion, the film is a trip through the obsession, and subsequent rejection, Humanity has for the concept of death.

I actually walked into the theater not knowing what to expect. I even had forgotten I was going to see an Aronofsky film, despite having enjoyed his previous films and having chosen the film among several available titles to watch this year in the festival. I realized who the director was before the film only because he was there to present his work.

The first and biggest word of advice for anyone about to watch this film, especially fans of Aronofsky's work, is that you are NOT going to see Requiem for a Dream part II, nor anything resembling the director's previous work. I haven't seen the previews, but my second word of advice is: try to avoid them! This film has to be seen with a completely open mind.

Having said that, keep in mind that this film is not for everyone. It is a true art film that requires from the audience to meet it halfway in order to connect with the ideas the director is trying to convey. It is visually stunning, but the images are more than just eye candy. They have a very profound meaning behind them. But what meanings and ideas you will carry with you after the film is over will depend on whether you can "connect" with Aronofsky's conceptual images.

Jackman's and Weisz's performances are very contrasting and Oscar-worthy, with Jackman's being especially intense. His character reminds me of the obsessive ness in Sean Gullette's character in "Pi", and that is probably the only connection you will find with that film. Some might even find it a bit over the top, but in my opinion, it is absolutely required for the subject of the story in this film, and Jackman delivers with credibility.

Here's hoping that Aronofsky gets a well-deserved Oscar nomination for this film!
Warp>>

1 Comments:

Blogger Frisby said...

Being a HUGE film guy I will definitely check this one out. Go see the Prestige. It is going to be awesome!!!

10:59 PM, October 18, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home