Thursday, June 08, 2006

PSM No More

I have been subscribed to PSM magazine for about 3 years now and still have about a year left. I always enjoyed knowing what was going on in the video game industry, and especially with Sony as I was big fan years back.

After an awakening I decided Nintendo was making more games I like to play, in fact Nintendo makes games because they want you to play games. I believe whole hearted that Nintendo wants people playing games (not that money is not the main incentive).

I subscribed to Nintendo Power more or less because I always wanted to and they also gave me 3 free issues and a shirt! NP may be decently bias, and the writers may have...different tastes, but I enjoy my monthly Nintendo Power. But today I canceled my PSM subscription.

The first major issue that made me laugh at Sony was a suggestion in their "pulse" section. Some kid was complaining that his UMD is loose and falling apart more and more every day. They suggested scotch tape. Yes, profession writers suggest you to TAPE YOUR UMD!!!


If I bought anything for 50 bucks and the suggestion I get is tape it, I would make it my personal mission to destroy the people who lead me to believe I bought a quality product.

Last months issue was disgusting banter about how Sony was going to blow everyone away at E3 (and all the did was blow). The issue I got yesterday had a last minute E3 printing update where they, the super fans, sounded like they wish they worked for a different magazine. But all the other stuff in the mag, Pre-E3 was more cocky "My shit don't stink because I can play Blue Ray" trash talk.

Formally professional, formally interesting, formally subscribed.

Bye PSM, IGN had better reviews anyway.

--
Charlie Frisby

3 Comments:

Blogger InvisibleMan said...

Something very similar has been happening to me with all printed magazines: by the time I get them, their reviews and announcements are old news. I say, blame it on the internet: gaming magazines have all become obsolete... I'm starting to drop my subscriptions one by one.

1:45 AM, June 09, 2006  
Blogger Rollin said...

Same here. The only reason i got GI a month ago is because i wanted to read their exclusives and it was an impulse buy. I stopped buying EGM but i get it for free now so that comes, too. Before those were getting here, i gave up on print. There's no point in wasting cash on them.

7:19 AM, June 09, 2006  
Blogger MuffinGal said...

I gave up on PSM a while ago. I found that I wasn't reading what they said because it came off as silly sometimes. Maybe they are writing for a certain age range but it didn't appeal to me.

Maybe I am just jaded by all the trash that these companies try to pass off on gaming consumers.

When they sent me that renewal form, I ripped it up and dumped it into the garbage.

BTW, I do enjoy EGM most of the time. I just read about things I am interested but I agree with invisibleMan that the information is old news in this age of the internet.

9:18 AM, June 12, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home