Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Joining My Club/Proof of Innocence

I've had my beef with 4 Color Rebellion in the past. For reasons that i won't go into unless you ask, they left a sour taste in my mouth (and it wasn't the BJ). Anyway, that was then, and even though i still have my gripes with them - keep in mind that i have gripes with everyone and everything - they have just ratcheted themselves up a few notches on my Okely-dokely scale.

4cr member/writer/Korean spy Nick Rumas has written post-completion impressions of New(???) Super Mario Bros, proving that i'm not some anti-Nintendo hater for hire. An excerpt:

"I hate comparing, but I can’t help it. In relation to visual prowess and beauty on their respective platforms, take a look at Super Mario World and Yoshi’s Island, then take a look at NSMB. All things aesthetic in the former two look to have been created with the utmost care and love, pushing the limits of the hardware to create a world that would truly immerse the player. NSMB, on the other hand, is hit and miss in this regard, and often looks like it was thrown together rather hastily. Fortunately, the gameplay is a different story, and that’s what really counts. Still, from the visuals alone, I can’t help but feel like I’m playing a product that wasn’t quite the labor of love that its predecessors were, and that just ain’t right."

I like him. He can join my club.

Should any of the idiots who flamed me on numerous sites for what i said before about the game read this, check the article's comments and the article itself: I didn't do it for attention, morons. Others agree and it's plain as day-- this game was a holdover to cash in on nostalgia.

They may not put it as harshly, but they still see what i see. I think it's a really good title and it can be fun as hell, but i'll be goddamned if someone tries to say it's the best Mario, or even that it comes close to the greats. Drop the rose-colored glasses for a second, ya jagoffs.

5 Comments:

Blogger InvisibleMan said...

OK, how about this for dropping the rose-colored glasses:

I never found any of the Super Mario Bros games that entertaining to begin with!

There. I said it.

I guess I'm more of a Nintendo 64 and Dreamcast generation, since those were my first and second game consoles I owned. I never thought any of the SMB games could come close to the entertaining value of Super Mario 64.

10:52 AM, June 21, 2006  
Blogger Rollin said...

Nice.

You almost ruined it with the N64/DC comment, though. How come you started with those? For that matter, how long have you been here? I'm guessing this is a Mexico thing. Or you abstained from gaming for 30 years.

Anyway, contrary to that opinion, i didn't like Mario 64 much at all. Mind that i played the DS version only, but nevertheless i didn't orgasmate while playing that one. Now i ask you, Tony, whose statement is more controversial? =D

11:22 AM, June 21, 2006  
Blogger Frisby said...

Basically I played old SMB on my ds from my gba slot, in fact thats what I kept in there almost all the time. It's easy to pick up and play a few levels. Thats what I got out of New SMB.

SMB 3 was better, but I have a good time playing it when I have free time.

12:02 PM, June 21, 2006  
Blogger InvisibleMan said...

You know what? I didn't like the DS version of SuperMario 64 either!

What got me into console gaming in the first place was the switch to 3D environments in the games. It was the sense of movement freedom in SuperMario 64 that got me hooked. That's also why I didn't get into the groove of the PlayStation: their main platformer was that Bandicoot game, which was more like a rail shooter: you had to stick to one path, so it basically was a 2D platformer from a different point of view.

Ironically, I've been looking into 2D gaming now that it comes in a more convenient portable fromat: the micro! But even there, I find platformers like Drill Dozer far more imaginative and entertaining than Super Mario Bros.

I truly think that the SMB cult is wholly based on nostalgia, and that new generations of gamers don't find those games as compelling.

11:03 AM, June 23, 2006  
Blogger Rollin said...

Thank you. Hot damn, i was waiting for someone to say that.

Listen, i loved the time i spent as a kid with Mario & Co. But today, it doesn't cut it. It was a milestone in gaming, so typically that means you had to be there for you to fully understand. Although all the past Marios- from 8-bit to 64-bit- are classic classics that will always be somewhat fun to play when you invest time in them, they will never capture you like they did or would've decades ago. It's the platformer's predicament. Without much of a story or some other memorable talking point, it's hard to get worked up over a dated game, at least enough to wanna play it again. Newer games are always evolving and the past can't keep up.

The only reason retro gaming is successful is because there are millions of people who were there on the (S)NES. Nostalgia is what drives the entire retro scene, nevermind just Mario. When Nintendo says that Wii's Virtual Console is for lapsed gamers, hardcore gamers, and new gamers that haven't experienced it yet, they're lying to your face. They know it's to bank on that nostalgia trip once again. It will only appeal to those that played these games before and those who were around back then but missed a certain game or two. No new game player will care about this VC unless their dad or older brother wants to shove it down their throat. And the Nintendo fans get upset when people consider GTA3 an oldie...

Personally, i don't get the whole retro thing. I mean, i was there and loved that stuff, but i don't see the appeal. I think it's great having such easy access to games on the VC i may've heard about over the years and missed out on initially, especially when they've got Nintendo, Sega, and Hudson (since i never touched a TurboGrafx, but always saw it in game mags). But am i dying to DL every single game i've already played? Not really. Matter fact, i won't be getting any game if i already played it. Maybe it's because i was always a multi-platform owner, but the idea of replaying all the Marios and Zeldas doesn't grab me. The only way i could get some retro enjoyment is if i actually hook up an old system and play it how it was meant to be played.

You ever tried Boktai? It's the GBA game with the solar sensor. If not, do.

5:23 PM, June 23, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home