Friday, August 18, 2006

Snakes on my Blog!


Alas, last night was the nationwide premiere of the film that has become the poster child for viral advertising, Snakes on a Plane!

Even before ticket sale figures are announced, this film has proven once again that you don’t need to make a great movie in order to have a successful movie. This time, however, it was in part due to some clever interaction from the producers with internet bloggers, to the point of making additions and changes to the film up to the last minute based on comments found on blogs. Trend, or once-in-a-lifetime occurrence? This blogger thinks that, like with the indie fake documentary The Blair Witch Project, you are not likely to see this kind of thing happen ever again, at least not with this kind of success.

In any case, I did attend the film premiere at the Chicago downtown loop last night, and let me tell you, I hadn’t seen an audience have this much fun with a movie since The Rocky Horror Picture Show! But unlike the famed rock opera farce, don’t expect Snakes on a Plane to maintain the party atmosphere for decades to come. You only got one shot to enjoy the celebration, and that is this opening weekend… if you like that sort of thing. Me? I had a blast! And like Randal Graves from the much better film Clerks, “I hate people, but I love gatherings… isn’t it ironic??
Warp>>

1 Comments:

Blogger Frisby said...

As long as SLJ screams obsenities at snakes it is sure to make me chuckle.

When employees preview the movie the night before release we would all have a blast. It's basically a Mystery Science Theatre 2000 esque gayla.

Good Times.

Best gathering for me was hands down Evil Dead 2 midnight film fest in dallas.

7:16 PM, August 18, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home