Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Lost Magic got a bad rap



Ok so this game didn't get the best rating anywhere on the net, Gamespot, Gamerankings or any of those didnt really love it. but after purchasing my DS lite on Sunday. I needed something new, something i haven't yet played that would be new and fresh on my white little friend.

I played through New Super Mario Bros in a week, Metroid Prime Hunters is only good for wifi, the same goes for Tetris. Now I must admit that i am one of those people who will buy a game, mostly finish it then move on when I get bored or something else exciting comes out. I still have yet to finish Advance Wars Dual Strike or Phoenix Wright, but it'll happen. Plus I feel like this is going to be a long summer without the release of any new games.

So I picked up Lost Magic used for 23 bucks. And so far I am pleased. There are some silly things about the game. like when it shows you talking to a character and say you are running to get them, it shows you run off screen. Battling is interesting in that its all free motion. Unlike AW you can send your units anywhere, and not just one type of unit but all units to one spot to kill one little bad guy. While you sit behind them and shoot spells at them. Which is the other part of battling. In the beginning you have about 6 spells you can use at all times. They cost mana which gradually refills over time. So no need for items to refill it. Same with your health, you have a healing spell to start with that you can use anytime on yourself or your monsters. The monsters you meet in a battle can be captured if weak enough and added to the small army you can command. You get only a certain amount of monsters depending on your level, the higher your level the higher the number. The only problem i've had with units so far is if you tell them to go somewhere and there is a rock in the way, they will stop and not go around it but just stand still. This can be annoying but if you lead them like children you should have no problem.

All in all so far this game is very entertaining. I am not that far into it and already it is starting to be a challenge. I recommend this game to anyone into RPGS like Final Fantasy or Advance Wars. Its worth a look and if you can get it used its a no brainer. If anyone has this game and is looking for an opponent let me know. Just be gentle I'm still figuring it out.

8 Comments:

Blogger InvisibleMan said...

Welcome, FOLAX!

I have Lost Magic, and although I'm only at level 10, it has become my current favorite RTS handheld game.

It is true that the average rating for this game has been around 70/100. But this game belongs, in my opinion, to a special kind of games that require a closer look when reading reviews about it: these are games have gameplay that is so original that sometimes some external production elements (like cut-scene animation, special effects, graphics) are overlooked a bit, and the review is skewed around it. A.I. issues and polished cut-scenes aside, Lost Magic is a great game, and I also would encourage people to give it a try. Especially if you want to stray from the best-seller, platformer, trodden path...

9:33 AM, June 14, 2006  
Blogger Frisby said...

Welcome to the team folax. I'll be the guy who has all the typos in is posts.

Friz

10:01 AM, June 14, 2006  
Blogger Frisby said...

*see in his post

Man.

BTW liked the review. Still dont know if lost magic is for me though. Maybe if I am in need of a DS RPG.

FRiz

10:03 AM, June 14, 2006  
Blogger Frisby said...

DAMNIT. I meant rts.

10:22 AM, June 14, 2006  
Blogger Rollin said...

With Friz's typos, my femininity, I-man's accent and Dave's punctuation, we'll be the #1 blog in no time!

10:41 AM, June 14, 2006  
Blogger InvisibleMan said...

I-man's accent can only be heard on a podcast, though...

12:38 PM, June 14, 2006  
Blogger folax said...

I have excellent puncuation

11:03 PM, June 14, 2006  
Blogger MuffinGal said...

I will GameFly it.

4:22 PM, June 15, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home