Sunday, September 10, 2006

Sony is on fire...in a bad way

It is no big secret that I am not a Sony fan. Every Sony product I owned (except my $150 studio headphones) has broken and been replaced only to be broken again. I could make a list, but I may have done it before.

I saw on Infendo that Sony's stock has dropped significantly, and the change started around E3, but Sony has a lot more issues right now what an overpriced console and a shortage of blue lasers. I read here that Sony just got hit hard by a 6 million battery recall. Apple and Dell got egg in there faces due to poor product testing on Sony's part. Are Dell and Apple going to look elsewhere for future laptop batteries. I hope so. Why? It's not that I hate Sony, I just have an issue with poor quality products.

The TV I grew up with was a Curtis Mathes. This one to be exact... It came to the Frisby Clan in 1978 as a wedding present for my parents. It lasted all the way until 2004. It was there for me when I watched TMNT and GI Joe, it poped my console playing cherry with Super Mario Brothes and was still there when I beat Ocarina of Time for the first time and even worked when my parents said we should trow it away since they where moving far away and it took up a lot of space.

When I first met my wife's parents in there living room was the exact same TV. Still being used to watch Walker Texas Ranger on the Hallmark channel exclusivly.



I got this TV in my room in 1992 when my parents bought a nice new Sony 21 inch TV from Sears. By 1995 the magnets from the speakers had made the bottom of the screen discolored (poor design 101). The power button was broken by 1996 and it didn't even make it past my dad playing Madden 64. I know not all Sony products suck, and I know not all CURTIS MATHES's last forever. But I do know I will not be burned by Sony again, and I know I am not alone.

Frisby



Edit:

Also, even if all of this does not turn you off to Sony, remember this!
Warp>>

4 Comments:

Blogger David said...

I've been pretty happy with the Sony stuff I've bought, with the exception of our old cordless phone. Our 24" Sony WEGA is quite nice, but I don't think I'd buy a Sony LCD when we move to HD. Work got me a UX-180P VAIO and it functions admirably (although it had a ton of trialware and junkware on it). Our old Sony VCR is still a trooper when it gets called in to duty.

Their recent track record has really turned me off; ad to that the recent DRM shenanigans and all the proprietary formats they've developed and I'm'a look elsewhere.

10:26 PM, September 10, 2006  
Blogger Frisby said...

I should have added the spyware they were sued for including on their sony record lable cd's.

It was a while back, but I believe it gave access to peoples computers to see how much music you have aqquired the wrong and evil way.

10:59 PM, September 10, 2006  
Blogger InvisibleMan said...

Actually, is there anyone out there still in love with Sony today?? It is amazing how much their customer base has turned away from them! They are betting way too high on the only thing that can keep the few faithful left: the Final Fantasy series! And that's only if you want to play those first-hand, because those are being made for the 360 also...

Personally, the only thing I trust Sony on right now is the quality of their TVs... despite what Friz said!

10:42 AM, September 11, 2006  
Blogger Frisby said...

Hey I only had one Sony TV and it was fubar. The Headphones I have are really nice and work great, but I payed for quality.

In fact I looked up the headphones again.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-V700DJ-Monitor-Series-Headphones/dp/B00001W0DH/sr=1-23/qid=1157999203/ref=sr_1_23/103-1482575-3942231?ie=UTF8&s=electronics

They are now near half the price but someone said that they started to fall apart after abotu 2 years. I am almost there, but they work soooooo great. I also have a pair of Sony jogging headphones I bought years ago that I use today instead of the apple ones that blew after a month.

So you like the TV's, I like the Headphones. Reguardless, Sony is on fire.

2:36 PM, September 11, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home